Feed Pets Raw Food

Thursday, August 30, 2007

[rawfeeding] Digest Number 11977

There are 2 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: The Care and Feeding of Mastiffs
From: steph.sorensen

2. Picky Beagle
From: sarie0607


Messages
________________________________________________________________________

1a. Re: The Care and Feeding of Mastiffs
Posted by: "steph.sorensen" steph.sorensen@yahoo.com steph.sorensen
Date: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:08 am ((PDT))

--- In rawfeeding@yahoogroups.com, Marisa Ammons <scoobysnax101@...>
wrote:
>
>
> What are some sample mastiff, dane or other
> giant-sized meals? One of my boys has eaten a whole
> chicken for an unexpected snack, so I know he can, but
> that is too much on a daily basis (one of our own
> flock disappeared and then we found feet in poop).
>
> Just looking for ideas - I see a lot about sizing for
> small dogs, but would love some ideas about how big
> the pieces are that the really big guys eat. I worry
> that they will be eating me out of house and home!
>
>*************************

Hi Marisa! I just joined and started my girls at the beginning of
this week. I have a black lab (@60 lbs) and a pit bull (@55 lbs).

I had the same question just a day or two ago, and I was told that
it is better to feed them larger prey items and feed less often than
it is to feed them small pieces everyday. Mainly it is for the
workout they get for their jaw and neck muscles, ripping a whole
carcass apart. So, in answer to your question, whole chickens are
fine, as are whole turkeys, and whole just about anything else. If
there is a portion they don't eat right away, you can always stick
it in the fridge if you want to. Large items are better for larger
dogs than small items.

For instance, I am feeding a whole chicken to each of mine this
evening and then not feeding them again until this weekend.
Predators typically feast/fast, whereas prey items graze throughout
the day. That was how it was rationalized to me, which I understand.

I hope that helped!

-Steph
Scarlet (mmmmm....chicken....aaagggghhhhh)
Lucy (man, I'm hungry...Mom forgot to feed us this morning!)

Messages in this topic (4)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

2. Picky Beagle
Posted by: "sarie0607" sarie0607@yahoo.com sarie0607
Date: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:08 am ((PDT))

I've been reading posts on this group and researching for some time
now and finally started my dogs on raw last night. I have a 50 lb
collie and a 45 lb beagle. I cut up a whole chicken and gave them
parts of it. Both were confused at first, but the collie figured it
out quickly and ate dinner and her breakfast this morning with no
problem. My Beagle just isn't getting it. Last night I seared a few
pieces of breast meat and my beagle did eat those but he wouldn't eat
anything else and this morning he wouldn't eat what I gave him
either. He normally eats anything he can get his little paws on,
including trash and anything else he shouldn't eat. Should I just
keep offering chicken to him and hope that when he gets hungry enough
he'll eat? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Sara

Messages in this topic (1)
________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Digest Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-normal@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home