Feed Pets Raw Food

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re:New puppy with diarrhea...

Taylor,
I had the exact same issue with my puppy recently when I switched her to raw
-- my first week, I got so gung ho and fed her all sorts of stuff: ground
lamb, chicken legs, goat meat, chicken liver, eggs. She got overwhelmed and
repaid me with DREADFUL diarrhea at 2 a.m... and 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. and 6:30
... not really, but it seemed like it. (although I guess I'm lucky I have a
pup who actually wakes me up to go out at 2 a.m. when she has diarrhea). She
still seemed to be feeling good, still had an appetitie, wasn't dehydrated.

So I backed off a couple days, gave her a little pumpkin to firm things up
and some cooked chicken breast. That seemed to settle her down. Once her
stool got firm again, I introduced just chicken back. She got diarrhea for a
day or so, but again seemed to feel fine, and then her stools went back to
normal. After a week or so, I introduced turkey ... and this week I
introduced lamb. I JUST started giving her liver and some gizzards this
week. It's perfectly fine to wait to introduce organs, and it's perfectly
fine to go VERRRY slowly in introducing new protein sources. So long as your
pup seems to be feeling well, has an appetite and is not dehydrated, things
should be fine. If Lokie gets worse, or doesn't improve in several days,
though, I'd get to a vet.

Good luck with Loki.
Liz


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home