Feed Pets Raw Food

Thursday, June 14, 2007

[rawfeeding] Belgian Shepherd bitches - not eating

I have 4 Belgian Shepherds, one 3 year old Male, 2 bitches just under
2 years old and one pup 3 months old. I have just started to feed
raw (about 10 days ago) and am struggling a bit. The male thinks all
his Christmasses have come at ones and is LOVING it ! ! ! He is
looking good and his teeth are now beautiful and white - no problems
there. The pup is still getting some kibble as I'm just so
frightened she is not getting what she needs through my
inexperience. That's my choice for now but I would say that she'll
go totally on raw as soon as I get familiar with what to feed and
where to get the food etc etc. At the moment I am mainly feeding
chicken as that is the recommended start to feeding raw. The male is
also eating lamb flaps (with bone) and lamb hearts. The pup eats
chicken wings and necks. My problem is the two young adult bitches.
One of them is eating about 1.5% of her ideal body weight, the other
one is only eating barely 1% of her ideal body weight. She will only
eat chicken wings and the odd chicken leg and will not eat meat such
as the meat on a chicken breast. I buy assorted chicken pieces,
breast, legs, thighs, wings. I have ordered chicken livers in - is
that a good idea? The reason I started to feed raw is that I have
always had a problem with young Belgian Shepherd bitches not wanting
to eat. I think it may be a breed specific issue - not sure. The
male had a recurring problem with very loose stools (totally cured
now he's on raw) However, what they kept telling me (including the
male) was that they just don't like kibble of any sort. Doesn't
matter which brand or how much I pay for it, they just don't like
it. That set me thinking; I figured that if they don't like it,
perhaps they are trying to tell me it's not really good for them?
Why feed it to them if they don't like it? I also noticed that if I
gave them any raw food they would immediately stop eating whatever
kibble they did eat. So, it really made sense to me to go raw since
they were already telling me that's what they preferred. I am pretty
sure it is normal for newby's like me to be a little paranoid about
their dogs not getting enough (yep, it's terrifying me) but I would
really like some help/ideas as to what to do about the 2 young girls.
The one that is only eating 1% is skinny and I just don't want her to
go down in weight any further.

Carla Spelt, Fauvetnoir Belgian
Shepherds, Perth, West Australia. fauvetnoir@bigpond.com

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home