Feed Pets Raw Food

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

RE: [rawfeeding] Re: What meat has the most carbs?

Thanks to all for your responses so far. I guess I had thought that dogs
could get carbs from meat as well for energy, but maybe I do need to feed
more fat?

I just had my boy to the vet about 4-6 weeks ago for a complete annual
checkup and blood work to be done to check everything out. This was a new
alternative health vet that I took him to and not a typical vet. He
received a full exam of his body, heart, blood, fecal, etc. with no vaccines
and everything came back normal. So, I guess I wouldnt know where else to
go to check again? In addition to the playing we try to do at home, we do
take him to the park about once every 2 weeks where he can swim and run,
etc. and he goes nuts there and thoroughly enjoys himself, so I figure if he
had anything wrong he would not want to run at the park either. He had a
lot more energy on kibble and while I would never go back to that junk, its
just a comparison in the fact that his decrease in energy has only been
since feeding raw.

So, as far as feeding, he gets chicken quarters, chicken breasts (bone in
and bone out, whatever I find on sale), pork from picnics, the bone from
those when the meat is gone, beef roasts, pork spareribs, whole rabbits,
lamb when the store has it, including the bone, occasional whole duck
although he sometimes turns his nose up at those too, whole cut up turkeys
and turkey legs, either mackerel or salmon, occassional eggs when he will
eat them, and at times I try to stuff him with some 100% ground beef with
ground bones and some ground tripe that I get from my co-op. Otherwise, he
has to eat things that he must chew on, he wont eat anything mushy and
usually promptly throws up his whole meal if I make him eat ground beef or
tripe. He will not eat heart, kidney, liver or gizzards, no matter how I
try to disguise them or dry them out as treats. Of course he will eat
anything ground if I cook it! LOL

I'm trying to figure out first where the problem is before resorting to
supplements, but I think that I do feed him a good variety and not sure what
else to add. Those are all the meats that I can find in my area.
If anyone has any other suggestions on what I might be able to try to get
him some more energy, or if I need to increase the fat content (and with
what meats since I dont remove any fat from anything), please let me know.
Thanks.

Steff with Glory and Freedom

*****
Any amount of carbohydrate is too much for a dog that has no
nutritional need for carbohydrate. Dogs rely on fat for energy.

What I think he needs is a visit to his vet to make sure there aren't
health issues affecting him and two, and I think you need to post in
more detail what you are feeding him. IMO it would be foolish to look
to supplements without first thoroughly scrutinizing his food.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7423526/grpspId=1707421080/msgId
=132872/stime=1181749061/nc1=3848648/nc2=3848443/nc3=4025302>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home