Feed Pets Raw Food

Saturday, June 16, 2007

[rawfeeding] Hi...I'm New Too

Hi
I'm new to the goup as well. I've been feeding my two Aussies raw
food for about a year and I have to confess that there have been
times when I've been a bit confused. I've tried various "versions"
and degrees of raw feeding (some of which included certain grains
and legumes, veggies and supplements). I'm sold on the prey model
and the next step is buying a bigger freezer! I do have a couple of
questions - please forgive me if they are redundant; I have been
reading the posts and learned a great deal (it is also very
validating), but there are a few thngs I could use some coaching
about.
My dogs are seven and eight and the vet my dogs see practices
alternative/holistic medicine as well as "traditional". In fact,
he's the one who got me started on raw feeding, limiting
vaccinations, chiropractic, TCM and got me off heartworm pills and
flea/tick topical treatments. But he does recommend certain
supplements - usually chinese herbs, and only to treat imbalances.
He also recommends that I add crushed Black Walnut Hull as it
naturally repels/discourages parasites (instead of monthly heartworm
pills). The feeding guidelines I've been using choose foods based on
TCM 5 element theory. Is anyone else familiar with this technique?
It does not contradict prey model raw feeding, but limits certain
foods that would cause imbalances.
I do worry about fleas and ticks and there are some who believe that
adding garlic, brewers yeast and lecithin create an inhospitible
environment in the blood that deters insects. How do folks in
the "raw community" ;-) feel about that? Are there suggested
alternatives?
Are there diet considerations that apply to mature to senior dogs to
help with and prevent joint inflamation and pain (and just plain
arthritis)? I take glucosamine and anti-oxidents which help
me...what about that for dogs?
Finally, the age old question: my dogs eat grass. Not quite grazing,
but significant amounts. I know that wolves do not eat stomach
contents, so what does this behavior indicate nutritionally? They
don't gag or vomit when they eat it and I'm inclined to just let
them be, except I worry about leptosporosis.
Okay. I'll shut up now. I promise I'll trim from now on.
Anyway, thanks. This group is a fabulous resource.
Marguerite
representing Wink and Emma

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home