Feed Pets Raw Food

Saturday, June 9, 2007

[rawfeeding] re: new to raw with GSD

>>I have a gsd that I would like to start feeding raw to.. Can someone tell me how much to feed and what. thanks-Jen

She is on science diet id becasue everything else causes colitis to act up-<<

Hi, Jen -- I have a GSD with digestive issues, too, and she's the reason I started feeding raw. Her health turnaround has been miraculous, and she's been doing this for 6 yrs.
One of the easiest things to start with is chicken -- buy whole chickens, cut in half and feed to your girl. The next day, feed the other half. It really is this easy!
Stick with chicken for a week or so, then start adding different proteins. Pork is usually reasonably priced around here, so maybe that's a good choice for second. Lamb is great but too pricey for me most times, as is goat. If you or friends hunt, venison is a terrific source of protein.
"How much" is harder for me to answer with meat other than chicken, as I don't "weigh" any of my dogs' (7 plus 9 puppies) food -- I just eyeball it and feed. If I see them getting too heavy, I cut back; if they're looking too thin (unlikely here as I like my dogs lean) I would increase the food. I'm pretty causual about it.
I suspect that your GSD's colitis will *act up* less -- maybe even not at all -- when you get her adjusted to a species-appropriate diet!! Good luck.


-- Anne Moore (M-Tak PWC and one goofy GSD rescue and a silly Golden rescue) in NW Ohio

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home