Feed Pets Raw Food

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: Kidney function and raw diet

Thanks Chris. I GREATLY appreciate the explanation of zinc and
vitamin C... I just didn't understand it in terms of appropriate and
inappropriate.

> When we've discussed Hawaiian raw feeding issues before, I recall
> Costco and ranch direct being the two most highly recommended ways
to
> get food. Of course the obstacle to ranch direct is finding the
> ranch.

I've already contacted several ranchers and have obtained a source of
beef, but nothing else. Goats on the islands are usually fed a
seemingly toxic chemical dewormer (meant for cattle) that I'm not all
that comfortable feeding to my dog, from what I read about it. I have
been trying to seek out many different types of meats (lamb, goat,
poultry, etc.). I'm just having a difficult time finding a supplier
of offal and green tripe, due to the stringent slaughterhouse
policies.

> And if they do kill their own livestock,
> > they're likely not pastured but the industry pumped kind.
> *****
> This guessing or knowing? Seems hard to imagine.
>
I've contacted about 10-15 ranchers on the island. None of them kill
their own livestock but have it done by the slaughterhouse. Of
chickens, I have yet to find a local source of chickens... although I
am looking for the pastured variety. Costco chickens are the
cheapest, but I'd prefer getting them local and fresh. So far, there
is only one supplier of local chicken fryers and that outfit is in
Kauai. At least from what I've read. Most of the chicken is imported.
So, yes, i'm partially guessing, based on a combination of what
farmers have said, and what I've read... so it's an educated guess.
Ag is a little backwards in Hawaii. You'd think they were progressive
and they may be more so on the Big Island, but Oahu is pretty
backwards.

>
> If prey model
> > isn't an option, are there any OTHER suggestions on what to feed?
> *****
> Same as here: a variety of body parts from a variety of animals.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant what to feed to boost the kidneys and
the immune system... Though your answer might be the same.

My zinc questions were related to immune system deficiency. I've
heard that zinc boosts one's immune system. So if you have a problem
with the immune system, you'd add more zinc to improve it. So, in
essence, I WOULD be changing a diet because my previous one wasn't
working by adding zinc. But I gather from what you're saying is that
I shouldn't add supplements. hmmm... I'm a little skeptical about
that. Only since in the wild, the dogs get to eat what they want to
eat... which may include grasses, berries, herbs, other things they
might need in their diet, etc. In my house, his options are only that
which I put in front of him (and anything he has access to in my
backyard), which is very limiting. I've been tweaking his diet but
his demodex doesn't go away... it improves, but doesn't go away
entirely.... which is why I'm trying to turn to supplements.

Mimi

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home