Feed Pets Raw Food

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: Talk about stubborn!

> Maybe get them together playing and give a "treat/ liver ball" to the
> other dog and see if you can trick her into wanting one too?
> Sometimes being left out helps, lol....

Both my dogs are accustomed to training sessions that may or may not
include food treats or lures, so rather than use my normal treats, I
switched to chunking up whatever new food I wanted them to eat. It
helps that I'm not squeamish about handling raw anything.

Tonight it was pork kidney for the first time. I gave it to them with
their meal earlier today, and neither of them would touch it. They
picked it up and spat it out. So this evening I chopped it up into
one-swallow pieces and did a training session with it. I don't know if
it's the idea that, "Oh! I have to work for it, so it must be good!"
or the competitive nature kicking in (whoever obeys first gets the
treat), but they gobbled it down and were looking for more. It's how I
introduced liver too, and now they'll eat that on their own.

I'm also using this to 'sneak' more food into my underweight dog who
won't eat enough to gain anything. For the session I just have little
chunks and big chunks 'o meat. When my male who's at a good weight
obeys, he gets a little chunk. When skinny girl obeys, she gets a big
chunk...preferably with fat. Easy. So long as it's a 'treat' she'll
eat as much as I'll give her.

Crystal and the Zoo

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home