Feed Pets Raw Food

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: Getting mixed messages....

> -Hi, Tracey!
> How much are you feeding at a meal? How many times a day?

I am feeding him 3 times a day (he's 16 weeks and 55 #s). I quarter a
chicken and give him 2 quarters. He usually eats one whole and part of
another.


> Don't throw out the heart, liver & gizzards, put them in a bag in the
> freezer! You can stuff them into a chicken to feed later on. : )
> Mom says, "Don't waste food!" ; )

I toss it in with the rest of his meal.


> Chicken is a bit more bony than some other prey animals, but its just
> right for chicken.

So my "ratios" are okay with just feeding him whole chickens with the
"innards"?


> You might be seeing the loose stool because he's getting too much food
> at a meal, or chicken will affect him that way, it may just be because
> he's still adjusting to eating raw. Be sure to check the chicken
> packaging label - is it enhanced? If it has added water, salt
> solution, flavorings or seasonings, that may be the culprit.

I just went and checked them and they say nothing about added but there
"may be up to 2% retained water." It says all natural so I think I am
okay there but not sure of they are being tricky with their wording.


> Will he 'chew' up the quarters, or does he tend to crunch, crunch
> swallow? If he is swallowing huge chunks, he needs bigger food.

My hubby was cutting it up smaller and there would be whole pieces of
meat and he seemed to pretty much swallow them whole. Since I am
feeding quarters he crunches on the boney parts then swallows.


> Does he have just loose stool, is it runny, does it have chinks o'
> bone in it? If its *just loose, You probably shouldn't worry. If it
> has chunks o' bone, that's pretty normal for a newbie dog, too. But, I
> would not cut up his portions -feed them as is, and let him work at
it.

It is runny. He seems to work really hard at going then what comes out
is runny. I didn't see any bone or they were really tiny so he seems to
be okay there.

I really appreciate thoughts on this. He is my first Mastiff and my
first time feeding raw. I am trying to absorb everything as quickly as
possible and I can't believe what I have learned on this group.
Everyone is so great and informative. My concern after the most recent
reading is that I am not getting enough meat by feeding whole chickens
including the innards.

Thanks,

Tracey and Ranger


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home