Feed Pets Raw Food

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

[rawfeeding] HGE

I am new to this human raw feeding. Have been feeding the pre-made for
almost a year now. I can only tell you my experience. My dog too had this
last year. No matter what we tried in the way of kibble, he constantly had
diarrhea and twice had to go in for IV fluids for bloody diarrhea and
gastric distress. Even on prescription food he improved but did not heal
totally. I switched to raw, and to my delight, he almost immediately began
to improve dramatically. To this day, he's never had diarrhea since. His
coat has been soft and shiny since going raw with an even bigger improvement
since going on the prey model.

Joanne

Newbie here. I have been searching for the best diet for my dogs for
awhile, even before the pet food recall, and even more so now. I
have 3 yorkies, the 9#er is 5 today, the 6# brothers are 4. I've
just recently did away with their kibble, and tried several canned
foods, but haven't been happy with that either. I want to go raw,
but I have some concerns because of their health, especially one.

They all had a bout of HGE just over a year ago, one has had 2 more
bouts of HGE, last one just a couple of months ago. This is very
scary, vomiting and bloody diarrhea that requires a vet stay with IV
fluids and other meds for a few days. So I'm concerned about trying
raw food, especially for the sickly one. In addition to the HGE, he
has swollen lymph nodes, periodontal disease and just seems sickly
and underweight. He's been on Hills z/d canned prescription diet the
last few weeks and I've recently been giving them all cooked meat,
and he is doing better, the swelling in his lymph nodes is down and
he's putting on weight.

I'm thinking of giving them some raw beef ribs to start out, since
they've had raw beef soup bones for treats before and did just fine.
They've had cooked beef ribs before and ate the bones, so I guess
they will be able to eat them raw also. So, my question is, does
this sound okay, and should I add some raw beef with it?
So far they've had cooked chicken and salmon, so maybe it would be
best to give them more cooked chicken with the raw ribs, just to see
how they do before giving more raw?

I've been learning a lot from all your posts. So far I've learned
not to give them any more white rice, pasta and vegetables. So now
it's just cooked meat for the 2, and cooked meat w/half prescription
canned food. But he'll be weaned off the canned stuff after tonight.
Also, I've been feeding them 3 x a day, I'll cut that back to 2 now.

Thanks everyone!
Patty and the brat pack

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

http://www.pbase.com/hjbartling

http://hjbartling.dotphoto.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home