Feed Pets Raw Food

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Re: [rawfeeding] Now what?

On Jun 24, 2007, at 9:15 AM, Felicia M. Powers wrote:

> Bella and Katie have happily been 100% raw (save for the Cheerios
> they scarf
> up after baby tosses them from his high chair) for a week now.
> They LOVE
> their chicken. I have been feeding mostly chicken quarters, with
> some necks
> and livers added. As a vegetarian, it is REALLY disgusting for me
> to hear
> the crunching of bones as they eat, but they love it so much how
> can I deny
> them?

Beats the heck out of the crunching of the dead carcasses of pets,
sick cows, nackered horses, and garbage animal parts, steamed and
pulverized into unrecognizable slush and mixed with grains and
preservatives, no? You're wise to recognize their nature; that's the
best we can do while we're on the planet.
>
> From what I've read, I can add different sources of protein now -
> is there
> any particular order in which I should introduce meats? I know when
> introducing my son to solids, you are supposed to give certain
> foods first
> and delay certain foods due to concerns about food allergies. Is
> there a
> similar guideline for dogs?

There should be no concern about allergies when all the food is
appropriate. True for well-raised children with intact immune
systems, too.

> I've also heard about feeding raw eggs - how many eggs and how
> often? I
> assume I would feed them shell and all. I searched the message
> archives &
> found 1 member gives their dogs 1 egg a day - does this amount go
> by the
> weight of the dog?

No, it goes more by your pocketbook and the ability of the dog to get
them through the digestive tract without going loose on you. Purely
an owner convenience issue, as the dog doesn't care, and recognizes
eggs as good stuff.

>
> Also, it is well past the time of year that the girls should be
> blowing out
> their coats, but they are shedding LIKE MAD. Are there any foods
> that would
> help with this, or is there a supplement I should add? I'm
> wondering if I
> add fish next, if the omega-3's would help with the shedding. They
> do not
> have dry skin, just insane shedding. More than ever before. I
> read the
> archives and I saw some posts about fish oil supplements. If I
> feed fish,
> do I need fish oil too? If I do add the fish oil, how many mg per lb?
> Bella and Katie are 75 and 50 lbs., respectively.

Fish oil is never a bad idea, and it's a food, so dosage is not at
all critical. They may benefit, but I'm inclined to think the
shedding is the body's response to a diet that doesn't have a whole
lot of toxins which need storing in skin and hair. It should clear
up, and nice hair come in. A few capsules or a spoonful of bulk oil,
daily or a couple of times a week, as Chris said, can never be bad.
>
> Lastly, my lab Bella seems to be more prone to yeast than my
> golden. It
> seems I am forever battling yeast ear infections with her. Would
> adding
> probiotics to her raw diet help that at all? I guess I am thinking
> in the
> world of humans, when baby had thrush the probiotics helped him and
> when us
> ladies deal with the yeastie beastie, we're told to eat yogurt
> everyday for
> the same reason. (Sorry for the TMI, guys!) Can Bella have yogurt
> (I make
> my own from whole raw milk from our cow share) or probiotic
> supplements?
> I'm desperate to get her over these chronic ear infections!


Your lab Bella has her own particular challenges. You need to stop
battling the yeasty appearances; drugs, washes, and goops are mostly
quite suppressive and ultimately counterproductive to health. She
does not need probiotics; this is an internal problem resulting from
system impairment from drugs, vaccines, poor diet, etc., either in
her or her forbears. This is true of humans as well: yeast is a
native inhabitant of all of us, and it goes where it is not wanted
when we are unfit. It's not an adversary; it's the canary in the
mine, and killing it does nothing to address the problem within. She
CAN have raw milk yogurt, but she doesn't need it, and it should be
kept to treat status. I do recommend heartily against any pasteurized
milk products, as they are indigestible and highly inflammatory.

Let the good diet work its ways for a while, and if she is still out
of balance after a few months, we can discuss some further modalities
of treatment. Lay off any flea preventives, HW meds, vaccines, goops,
salves, and, if you like, use a little lavender oil, extract, or
tincture, in an ounce of other good oil, like olive or coconut, to
gently clean and soothe her ears.

ginny and Tomo


All stunts performed without a net!


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home