Feed Pets Raw Food

Sunday, June 24, 2007

[rawfeeding] Now what?

Bella and Katie have happily been 100% raw (save for the Cheerios they scarf
up after baby tosses them from his high chair) for a week now. They LOVE
their chicken. I have been feeding mostly chicken quarters, with some necks
and livers added. As a vegetarian, it is REALLY disgusting for me to hear
the crunching of bones as they eat, but they love it so much how can I deny
them?

From what I've read, I can add different sources of protein now - is there
any particular order in which I should introduce meats? I know when
introducing my son to solids, you are supposed to give certain foods first
and delay certain foods due to concerns about food allergies. Is there a
similar guideline for dogs?

I've also heard about feeding raw eggs - how many eggs and how often? I
assume I would feed them shell and all. I searched the message archives &
found 1 member gives their dogs 1 egg a day - does this amount go by the
weight of the dog?

Also, it is well past the time of year that the girls should be blowing out
their coats, but they are shedding LIKE MAD. Are there any foods that would
help with this, or is there a supplement I should add? I'm wondering if I
add fish next, if the omega-3's would help with the shedding. They do not
have dry skin, just insane shedding. More than ever before. I read the
archives and I saw some posts about fish oil supplements. If I feed fish,
do I need fish oil too? If I do add the fish oil, how many mg per lb?
Bella and Katie are 75 and 50 lbs., respectively.

Lastly, my lab Bella seems to be more prone to yeast than my golden. It
seems I am forever battling yeast ear infections with her. Would adding
probiotics to her raw diet help that at all? I guess I am thinking in the
world of humans, when baby had thrush the probiotics helped him and when us
ladies deal with the yeastie beastie, we're told to eat yogurt everyday for
the same reason. (Sorry for the TMI, guys!) Can Bella have yogurt (I make
my own from whole raw milk from our cow share) or probiotic supplements?
I'm desperate to get her over these chronic ear infections!

Thanks in advance for all your help and clarification! I'm really happy to
be giving my dogs the best diet I can!

Felicia

And Bella and Katie :-)

--------------------------------------------------------

<http://reduce-reuse-repsycho.blogspot.com/>
http://reduce-reuse-repsycho.blogspot.com/

"Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave
our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today."


-- Senator Barack Obama


<http://www.republicansforobama.org> www.republicansforobama.org

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home