Feed Pets Raw Food

Friday, June 15, 2007

[rawfeeding] Starting raw on Sunday

Hey everyone,

Just to refresh, I have a dog with IBD that is currently on a home
cooked diet. He was doing pretty well, but a couple days ago, he had
a really bad relapse. So, I'm ready to go all in on the raw thing,
and I'm starting this Sunday. I'm waiting until Sunday because Kai's
daddy is "not sure" about feeding raw, but he's leaving for a two
week business trip on Sunday. I figure that if he gets back in two
weeks and everything is going smoothly, that will help him make up
his mind. ;-)

I'm trying chicken, because he may do fine on raw chicken. (He
is "allergic" to chicken in kibble... we think.) Anyway, I got some
bone in chicken breast and a couple of fryers at the store. I'm
going to start with the chicken breast (skin off) but I picked up the
fryers because they were on sale. Kai weighs 22 lbs, so the fryers
needed to be cut into about 6 pieces to make 9-11 ounce hunks. I cut
up the first one already, but is there any particular way they are
supposed to be cut? I kind of just hacked it up willy nilly, the
easiest way it would come apart. The breast is kind of expensive, so
would it be okay to get some chicken leg quarters and then just add
some meat? (I think I read that the quarters are too boney?)

For those of you with IBD dogs, was there a period of adjustment? If
he has a reaction, it will be hard to tell weather it's from the
chicken, or just an adjustment from the raw diet. I know every dog
is different, but I'd like to get an idea of what a typical reaction
is versus an atypical reaction. I hope he is okay with the chicken
though, because it will be more difficult if he's not.

Thanks!
-Melissa W

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home