Feed Pets Raw Food

Friday, June 22, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: Very worried-- dog swallowed whole oxtail segment

"Julie Raymond" <marrat1@...> wrote:
>
> I thought I'd try giving Sonny oxtail since I saw it at the grocery
> store for the first time today. It came already cut up into segments,
> but I didn't think it would be an issue. However he just chewed some
> meat off then swallowed the rest WHOLE. It was a fairly large piece
> of bone. The size of a golf ball, or a little bigger. But more
> awkwardly shaped. He had a hard time swallowing it, and after it went
> down he wimpered and looked very uncomfortable and was sort of
> cringing for a few seconds, then he seemed fine and chowed down on
> the rest of his dinner.
*****
I suspect by now you have answers! I'm comfortable feeding singleton
oxtails to small breed pups as a fun food toy and perhaps to cats that
are into their food and can tolerate beef. Otherwise, IMO singleton
oxtails are best when braised then cooked slowly for any number of
seriously yummy meals for HUMANS.

A length of ox tail, from base to end, ought to be a great adventure
even if, as with the rest of the spinal column, there's not a lot of
meat on the body part. If I could afford whole oxtails, I'd feed them.

FWIW, when my bc was maybe four months old(?), I gave her a hen turkey
neck, thinking she was widdy and it was big. Well let me tell you.
She chomped into that thing like it was peanut brittle and before I
realized it (and yes, I was there watching) she had gotten it down to
two inches or so, a section she promptly swallowed. She responded just
as your dog did--discomfort, concern, then back to normal. Scared me,
it did. I mean, who'da thunk it?

She had NO digestive problems with it, and in fact though I monitored
her stools, I saw nothing that looked even remotely like a chunk of
turkey neck.

Let us know how this, um, comes out.
Chris O

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home