Feed Pets Raw Food

Saturday, June 16, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: Hi...I'm New Too

Welcome, Marguerite, I'm sure you'll learn a lot from this group.

> The feeding guidelines I've been using choose foods based on
> TCM 5 element theory. Is anyone else familiar with this technique?
> It does not contradict prey model raw feeding, but limits certain
> foods that would cause imbalances.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about this theory, what kind of foods would it
restrict? I've heard that some theories require a restriction on red meat or a certain organ
etc. I would shy away from anything that required feeding too far from what a wolf would
eat in nature (i.e. - no red meats). Let us know what kind of restrictions you would have
and we'll tell you what we think. (=

> I do worry about fleas and ticks and there are some who believe that
> adding garlic, brewers yeast and lecithin create an inhospitible
> environment in the blood that deters insects. How do folks in
> the "raw community" ;-) feel about that? Are there suggested
> alternatives?

For fleas, ticks, and the like, the goal is just to get the dog as healthy as possible so they
can fend them off themselves. Honestly, I didn't believe it much when I started raw
feeding, I kept thinking just because my dog is healthy doesn't mean a flea won't land on
him. Sure the flea might land on him, but parasites would rather have an unhealthy host.
A few months ago, I had a friend stay with us who had a ki**lefed dog. That dog was
always covered in fleas, but mine was fine. I would find one flea here and there, but it
never became a problem. In the event that fleas do become a problem, I opt for using
food grade DE on them.

> I take glucosamine and anti-oxidents which help me...what about that for dogs?

Glucosamine is in cartilage, so every time you feed a part with joints, you are giving
glucosamine. Some people add in extra pig's feet or chicken feet for good measure.

> Finally, the age old question: my dogs eat grass. Not quite grazing,
> but significant amounts. I know that wolves do not eat stomach
> contents, so what does this behavior indicate nutritionally?

This is a tough one. I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer. Mine only graze
when they have an upset stomach. That being said, when we go to visit my parents they
always partake in the grass. Maybe you and my parents just have yummy grass.

Andrea


All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home