Feed Pets Raw Food

Sunday, June 10, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: Dog was vomiting blood

At 6:02 PM +0000 6/10/07, brutus_buckley wrote:
>Hi Patty,
>If it was my dog vomiting blood, I would definitely make a trip to the
>vet. You said your dog is sick; I assuming this is a condition prior to
>raw? Something as harmless as boneless raw chicken meat is not known
>for making dogs vomit blood. More information on this dog would be good
>to help you determine the best way to feed him raw.

****Thank you for the reply. I have been to the vet so many times
with this dog and they always dose him up with antibiotics, even
against my wishes. This last episode when he vomited blood was new,
and I was ready to rush him in, even though I think sometimes they do
him more harm in the long run. In this case, most likely, he
would've been taken to the emergency room in a somewhat unknown
hospital and put in a cage with an IV drip and probably some xrays
and then hodge podge monitoring, then antibiotics and then after a
few days I'd bring him home.

I would never advise anyone to make this kind of decision on their
own, but know that I've been through a lot with him and discussed
much of this with my local vet in the past, and I determined last
night that he would be okay spending part of the night in my arms and
being monitored for further distress. But only after the bloody
vomit did not continue. If it had, I would have rushed him in for
treatment to stop the bleeding. Somehow, it seemed to stop on it's
own.

This dog suffers from HGE, which is Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis. It
causes sudden uncontrollable vomiting and bloody diarrhea for often
unknown reasons. I have never hesitated to take him in when this
happens, as it can cause him to go into sudden shock and we could
lose him. He is put on IV fluids and monitored for 2 or 3 days. But
they also give him antibiotics which I think is making him sicker. I
think it's time to find a new vet. And maybe I need to find a
specialty list for raw feeding him. Can someone point me to one?****

>As for the one who choked, vomited and re-ate it, this is typical dog
>behavior. Try feeding a bigger piece so your dog has to work a little
>harder to tear chunks off. Basically, your dog was too ambitious and
>the piece wouldn't make it down the chute, so it had to come up. I give
>my dog a huge meal, but I don't let him eat the whole thing at one
>sitting. He works on it for awhile and then he gets the rest the next
>day.

****Thank you. I think I knew this, but after a worrying, sleepless
night, I really questioned my decision to go raw. I still think this
is the right path, but it's still a bit wobbly for us.****

>As for poops, you're right. Raw=less poop. If your dogs had bowel
>obstructions, there would be signs of discomfort, pain and atypical
>behavior.

****As I suspected. And I saw the bigger boy poop some tonight. The
2 healthy ones are still on raw diet, though I only fed them cut up
pieces of chicken tonight. Sickly one is on his canned prescription
diet, though he licked the bowls from the others after they were
done. So I think I'll do some research tomorrow and try to start
adding in some raw pieces of meat and see how he does. He really
does like the raw, as they all do.

Thank you Renee, I appreciate your reply.

Patty and the brat pack
Never trust a dog to watch your food. --Patrick age 10 Advice from Kids

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home