Feed Pets Raw Food

Thursday, June 14, 2007

[rawfeeding] Food Aggression [was: where do you feed your dogs...]

How was this "nipped in the bud"?
We have a new puppy (he's 9 wks now; have had him for 1.5 wks and have
been feeding raw since we got him) who has just started growling at me
or the kids if we come too close while he has his RMB...The vet today
said anyone should be able to take anything (toys, food) from him w/
no protest. So tonight when he growled at my daughter I growled back
then took his dinner away (stuck it in the fridge for 1/2 an hour or
so and then gave it to him again). I thought the "if you growl you
lose your food" thing made sense, but have I just made the whole thing
worse by actually demonstrating that I *am* competition for his
food??? I'm new to all of this and our puppy classes don't start
until the end of the month so any help is greatly appreciated.

Rachel
(Guelph, ON)


--- In rawfeeding@yahoogroups.com, "Roni Bergerson"
<roni.bergerson@...> wrote:
>

> As far as food aggression, that's a behavioral issue, IMO. I
routinely put
> my hands in my pups food dish and take her food away to show her
that I will
> dole out the food when I want to since I am the alpha dog. I also
make her
> sit calmly and wait for her food. I don't feed dogs who are jumping
wildly
> about trying to grab food out of my hands. We've had no issues thus far
> although she started to show some signs of food aggression - that
was nipped
> in the bud and we've had no issues since.
>
> Roni
>


All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home