Feed Pets Raw Food

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: What do you stock your freezer with?

"ajoebgen" <ajoebgen@...> wrote:

> Where is it you go to get all of this variety of meat -- and what
> should I expect to spend??


In my laziest moments (such as recently), I do almost all of my meat
shopping at a single grocery store (Food Lion) near my house. (I
say "almost all" because I am constantly on the lookout for cheap
meat, and may pick up dribs & drabs wherever I happen to be
shopping.) My guideline is under $1 a pound -- sometimes I find
great deals, so I have a bit extra and don't mind splurging on
something else. I imagine, since I splurge fairly often, that I
actually average something over $1 a pound ... maybe more like $1.25
or even $1.50 some months.

This will all vary based on your geographic location, I'm sure; I'm
in Richmond Virginia.

Regular items I can reliably find at my store:

pork shoulders of all kinds (generally just over $1 a pound, but
sometimes go on mad sale -- when they do I stock up)
pork ribs (look for about-to-expire markdowns)
pork feet
pork liver
whole chickens (cheep cheep cheep)
chicken parts (which I rarely buy, preferring the whole chicken)
chicken livers
chicken hearts & gizzards (just got several marked-down packages
today for around $.75 a pound)
whole turkeys
turkey breasts (bone-in, usually)
beef heart (a favorite -- very affordable red meat)
beef ribs (look for about-to-expire markdowns)
beef brisket (ditto)
ground beef (for Kong stuffing; usually can find at least one big
roll on about-to-expire markdown for around $1 a pound)
beef liver
beef kidney
eggs

And occasionally there are other "finds." Lamb, for example, is
almost never cheap, but if I find some marked-down shanks or necks
for $2 a pound, I snatch them up.

Periodically I venture over to a local Asian market, where I
supplement the usual items with whole rabbits, goat shoulders, and
all manner of pork innards -- kidney, liver, unidentifiables, tongue,
heart, stuff I would rather not know the name of. And fish. Usually
I average about $1.50 - $2 a pound for this stuff -- hence the reason
the trips are only "periodically."

HTH --

-- sandy & griffin

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home