Feed Pets Raw Food

Saturday, June 23, 2007

[rawfeeding] Re: Very worried-- dog swallowed whole oxtail segment

Julie, I had a very similar bone experience. I often give my Standard Poodles long beef rib bones to chew on for an evening snack. I've been doing it for a long time before Joey started having obvious abdominal discomfort and seemed to have a blockage.

I finally took him to the vet (HATED to---she's very anti-raw feeding and has a waiting room stuffed full of Sci Di. Has given me many lectures! The reason I have taken Joey to her is that all her staff is female and very kind. Joey was horribly brutalized rescue and is especially afraid of men.)

I asked her for an x-ray, but she insisted on doing other tests first since he was a "raw fed" (translation "at risk!" ) dog. The tests, of course were negative, and the x-ray showed a bone somewhere in his intestine. She advised me to feed mineral oil and pumpkin and presented the $180 bill with another lecture on my evil ways of feeding!

I drove directly to the market and took Joey out on his leash before going in. He promptly squatted down and passed that very expensive bone!

It was, however a learning experience. I examined the rib bones and discovered that each one had an unattached irregularly shaped bone at the end--something I'd never noticed since all the dogs had been swallowing them. I now remove them as a precaution.

Oh yes, Joey has a new vet. He's gradually adjusting---as long as the male tech removes his baseball cap!

Joan Spencer


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home