Feed Pets Raw Food

Sunday, June 17, 2007

[rawfeeding] Just fed first raw meal-Impressed! ( but have questions)

I just gave Kai, my Shetland Sheepdog with IBD, his first raw meal
today. I gave him half of a bone in chicken breast. It went better
than I ever thought it would! He dug in right away and really seemed
to enjoy it. He chewed everything very carefully and didn't have any
problem staying on his mat. He got the idea right away. I but guess
he was born to eat this way, right? ;-) I'm very pleased with how it
went in... hopefully I'll feel the same about the way it goes out.
:-O It was much easier than the crazy home cooked thing. (Which took
me 2-3 hrs to prepare each week.) So I hope it works out.

My plan so far is to give him chicken breasts over the next 2-3 days.
If he seems fine, I'm going to add chicken leg quarters. Next week,
if he is still doing fine, I'm doing to start feeding hunks of cut up
whole chicken. Then, I plan to stick with that for another week to
two to see how he does. Then the next step would be to add organs,
right? Or would it be better to add another protein? I know it's
important to go slow with him because of his condition, so if I see
that he needs longer, I will extend the timeline.

I also stopped feeding the myriad of supplements and am now only
giving fish oil and probiotics. Does everyone think that will be
okay? I also plan to give him two meals a day for a while, but would
like to try to decrease it to one so that I can give him bigger
pieces. I'd love to seem him tear into some "big food" someday, but
we'll see how it goes. ;-)

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice along the way. I'll keep you
updated on how he does. And will probably have more questions. ;-)

-Melissa W

All information on this list represents personal opinion only. By staying on this list, you agree to never hold anyone from this list or associated with this list liable for any information posted through this list. You agree to take personal responsibility for your learning, and for personal responsibility for what you feed yourself, your family, and your dogs, cats, ferrets, or any other animal that lives under your care. If you don't agree, please unsubscribe immediately.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:rawfeeding-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:rawfeeding-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
rawfeeding-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home